Thursday, November 5, 2009

"Ssshrrriiimp!" ....A Yummy recipe for Golden Seafood Chowder

I bought a bag of frozen shrimp a while back to have for those day when life just grabs you by the arms and takes you for a ride and the last thing you can think of is making dinner for five+ people. My son Bear, who is 4, loves to go over to the fridge and peek through all of our food when he is hungry. One day while I was in the kitchen he came in doing his usual scavenger hunt and found the bag of frozen shrimp. "Ssshrrriiimp!" I heard him squeal in delight. "Honey, put it back" I protested. "Mamma, can we have shrimp for deenner?!" "Shrimp?!?" I thought to myself. "What kid in in his right mind would ask and get so excited over shrimp!?! Why not pizza or ice cream??" Putting the bag of shrimp back and shooing him out of our kitchen, I laughed to myself. Needless to say, he didn't let it go. For the next two days all he asked for was shrimp! It was a cold blistery day here in the North West and I thought it would be a perfect day for soup! Oh, how I LOVE a good soup!! I stumble across this yummy recipe and to my sons excitement, he got his shrimp and, it was a huge hit for the family(who can be vary picky at times) Plus it is ubber easy to make! :D




Golden Seafood Chowder





Ingredients:

* 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
* 1/4 cup butter, cubed
* 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
* 1 cup cubed peeled potato
* 2 celery ribs, chopped
* 2 medium carrots, chopped
* 1/4 cup Clamato juice (I used tomato sauce)
* 1/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
* 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 2 cups milk
* 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
* 1 can (6 ounces) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed(I used two cans)
* 1 cup cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined

Directions:

Saute onion in butter. Stir in broth, veggies, clamato juice(tomato sauce) and lemon-pepper seasoning. Stiring, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer on low until veggies are tender 15-20 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk flour and milk until smooth; add to soup. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for two minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add cheese(opt.), crab and shrimp; cook and stir for a few minuted or until cheese is melted. Viola! Serve with a side salad of your choice and buttered french bread.

Serves 4 to 6 people.



Here is a pic of Bear helping me in the kitchen....such a handsome fella :)





If you love seafood and you love a good chowder, you've got to try this! Let me know what you think! Blessings! A

No comments:

Post a Comment